We all at some point have had or will have negative thoughts. Your thoughts or what you focus on most is what shapes your life and creates your reality.
It is therefore important that you prevent or change negative thoughts to positive ones before it becomes toxic and prevents you from moving forward.
Here are 6 things you should do daily to help you deal with negative thoughts:
1. Be aware of the kind of thoughts going through your mind. Recognising and identifying whether positive or negative thoughts are on your mind is the start point.
Are you constantly thinking negatively or positively?
Awareness of your thoughts, understanding that negative thoughts can hinder your peace; and the willingness to change your thoughts from positive to negative is the first step.
2. Relax your mind and re-focus by practising meditation. Meditation helps to re-focus and redirect your thoughts. Meditation can be practised using a technique – such as mindfulness, or focusing the mind on a particular object, thought, or activity – to train attention and awareness, for a clear, calm and stable state
3. Read aloud positive affirmations. Affirmations keeps you focused on positive thinking. Affirm who you are, affirm the good things about yourself, affirm the good things in your life.
Read aloud 5 positive affirmations, mornings are better, however affirmations can be read anytime.
Daily affirmations are empowering with profound effects on the conscious and unconscious mind. Affirmations are statements that should be repeated to one’s self and written down frequently.
For affirmations to be effective, they need to be present tense, positive, personal and specific, e.g. I naturally appear and feel confident in every situation I face daily.
4. Nourish your soul by praying.
Prayers keep you in tune with God, and your spiritual being.
Prayers first thing in the morning can start you off on the right path for the day and prayers before bed can enhance good quality sleep for a refreshing morning.
5. Avoid complaining.
Complaining heightens negative thoughts and breeds negative energy. Learn the act of responding positively to situations rather than reacting negatively.
6. Be present and be grateful. Don’t focus on the past, it’s history, don’t focus on the future, it’s not here yet.
Focus on the present, this moment, the here and now; and be grateful for it.
These 6 simple tips can help you overcome negative thoughts.